Tuesday, October 09, 2007

When Life Gives You Lemons . . .

Today is my last day as a free man. Tomorrow I go to Tampa for two and a half weeks of training for my new job. It's been nice. But, we gotta do what we gotta do. Unfortunately, there is no money tree in my outside garden.

I had to go up to Clearwater around midday to take care of some business. I had to visit a county office concerning some financial matters. It's all in timing. Sometimes it just takes those computer systems a while to catch up to reality. Let's just say that I paid a visit to an alternate universe. It's quite the experience sitting in a small room and taking to someone thru a glass wall. Sure makes you feel good!

So, after spending a little time there, I began the drive back. Hmmmm, I thought. It's Tuesday, and Philthy Phil's lunch special today is a reuben sandwich. But, I didn't have any of my beach gear with me and did I really want to drive over to St Pete Beach? AHAH!!! Mazzaro's!!!

My sister and brother-in-law have been in Italy for the past month and they met a couple from the Tampa Bay area and they told them about Mazzaro's in St Pete. I found out where it was (about 3 miles from my apartment) and paid a visit there last week to check it out. I saw an espresso bar, desserts, sandwiches, all types of salads....etc. etc. etc. Abbondanza!

So, today I decided to make those lemons into . . . cannoli! I had a huge sandwich (looked like it was made on a small loaf of Italian bread), two double Americanos and a chocolate cannoli....all for $9.99! And I got to bring half the sandwich home!

As I was enjoying my cannoli, an older couple sat next to me. They were very friendly and we started chatting. I believe Pauline and Dan may be the first natives I've met since I've been here! Everytime they come in, they just sit down and the girls at the coffee bar just make them something. Today it was iced americanos. I told them how I found out about this place and that I had just moved to St Pete. They said they are regulars and we'll probably run into each other there again. I said, oh yeah! I know I'll be back again and again.

No comments: