Saturday, October 27, 2007

Losing Track of Time


These past couple of days have been pretty cloudy and every so often, pretty rainy too. I had some errands to run this morning....the Credit Union and the Post Office. I clocked it . . . it's 1.5 miles to the branch where I will be working! For my training, I had to drive to Brandon, which turned out to be a 60 mile round trip ride. Now I'll be exchanging that for a 3 mile round trip ride! Woo! Hoo! I'll be visiting the gas station a lot less now! Plus, saving the $6 in tolls each day!

After I finished my errands, I decided to visit the Saturday Morning Market again. I bought myself a vegetable curry crepe which came with a small salad. YUM! As I was sitting there in my t-shirt and shorts and flip flops, I realized that here I was, still thinking summer, and it is almost November. It's weird how I've lost sense of seasons passing. It doesn't seem like Hallowe'en time, but last night I was in Target for a short while and saw aisles and aisles of Hallowe'en stuff. Right next to the Christmas stuff!



Tonight I'm going out with some friends to a 'Hallowe'en Party' at one of the local hangouts. Maybe I'll wear my LOST numbers shirt?



This is an interesting shot. Every so often I'll see one of these huge palm fronds (is that what they're called?) on the ground. I guess that's how these palms get rid of their waste. I've wondered what would happen if one fell on the top of the soft roof of my Jeep. This morning, I saw this site . . . the bottom had split and it must have somehow slid down the trunk. No idea! My Jeep was parked two palm trees up from this one.

1 comment:

Gavin said...

How palms shed their fronds depends on the species. Those that you have pictured are Queen palms and they shed maybe one or two a year. They peel away from the tree until their weight and/or the wind bring them to the ground. They are pretty heavy and can be VERY sharp so it might puncture the top of your Jeep if it were to land just right.

BTW, we've had rain the past two days, but before that, it was still in the 70's here. I think it may be down in the 20's next week!