Thursday, September 20, 2007

Chiang Mai and Juleps

My friend Otto called me this afternoon to ask if I'd like to go out for Thai food for dinner. How could I say no to that? I love all types of foreign cuisines and only had Thai maybe a handful of times. I had spent most of the day doing little things around the apartment, including some laundry. I had a ham and cheddar cheese sandwich, a carrot and a hard boiled egg for my lunch, so Thai food sounded GREAT!


We went to the Grand Central District of St Petersburg to the Chiang Mai Thai Restaurant on Central Avenue. Otto is a great one to hang out with. He knows everyone! He goes there a lot, so the owners and staff all know him. Our hostess/waitress spent half the night chatting with us at our table. He even persuaded her to give me a gift of painted chopsticks!






Looking East up Central Avenue.

When we left, we took a walk up the block to look in the windows of some of the art and craft stores. Otto pointed to a woman across the street, standing in front of Savannah's Cafe talking with two others. She was dressed in a long dress with matching scarf around her neck. He said that she was Edyth, one of the owners of Savannah's. She noticed him and waved. We took a walk over to talk with her. Otto introduced me as a newbie to the area. She was so friendly and invited us in for a drink on her! I guess one of their specialties is juleps and soon 4 pomegranate juleps were served up after her son had joined us. We sat for a while and laughed alot. It was her birthday and she was celebrating by telling jokes! The restaurant was originally a car factory and showroom! It had been restored and updated...was beautiful inside.

It was a good night and I am full! Two new restaurants, two places to go again in the future!

No comments: