Friday, September 14, 2007

And the Search Goes On


Yesterday was a productive day. I spent much of it hunched over my computer filling out online applications for employment with several banks and credit unions. Although I have an updated resume, it seems most employers want to gather the information in their own format. Now to wait . . . and apply to some more today.

I took a walk to the mail box which is two blocks south of my apartment to mail one application (filled out in Adobe pdf and printed). On the way I noticed a patch between the sidewalk and the street, filled with aloe plants! My first thought: Wow! Growing like that right outside! My second thought: Now I know where to go when I get a burn!

I decided to relax last night and flipped on the TV. One channel was playing Pirates of the Caribbean, The Curse of the Black Pearl. So, as I was eating my dinner, I got sucked into watching it. I have it on DVD so decided to watch it in widescreen with surround sound, so popped in the DVD and went to the scene that I had watched up to. After watching it for about 15 minutes, there was this loud sound as if a generator had shut down, and then tried to power up again, but then shut down with a lound grind again. Poof! Total darkness. I thought I had blacked out all of St. Petersburg! I heard thunder rumbling around but didn't see any lightning. Weird.

I found my candles and lit a bunch. Not much to do, so I opened Harry Potter, book 7 and continued with my reading. I felt like Abe Lincoln....only I don't think he read Harry Potter. In a little while I began to hear a lot of voices outside and then saw flashing lights and heard trucks. I went out the back door and up to the landing where my laundry room is and there were 4 or 5 big power company trucks with cherry pickers in the street.
I came back in and continued reading. After about three and a half hours, the power came back on. I figured, OK, time to shut the lights and go to bed.

No comments: