Wednesday, February 14, 2007

It was only a matter of time . . .

I guess we can only have winter so long without some snow. I've lived in my apartment for almost two years and this is the first significant snowfall! People would ask me, how is it there in the winter with street parking? I couldn't really answer because I never had to use a snow shovel until today!

Besides being bitter cold, it has been windy too. I figure I should begin to dig out my Jeep. Why? I'm not sure. I didn't have anyplace to go, nor was there any other place to move it to.

While I was out there, one of my neighbors across the street was digging out her car and clearing her driveway a little. She was making small talk about the 'blizzard', trying to get out, etc. She said she was out of milk and didn't like being out of milk. She needed some to do some cooking. She was out there about an hour, cleaning around her car and warming it up. I was busy digging around my Jeep so that I could get it out at some point. And . . . I noticed that I was parked in a spot that, as she backed out of her driveway and attempted to turn, she could potentially plow right into my car!


I suggested that maybe she could back almost straight across the street and into the driveway on the opposite side and then just head forward up the street. That would hopefully spare my car from becoming "disfigured." Well, in the course of backing up, she spun wheels, slid, cut across a snow bank, spun some more, but eventually made it out. She rolled down her passenger window and thanked me for the help. She said she wasn't sure how she was going to make it back, but she was heading to Stewart's to get some milk. Then it hit me. Stewart's is two blocks away! She spent an hour digging that car out, spinning around and heaven knows what else she happened to do on the way there and back. She probable could have walked there and back in about 15 minutes! Oh well.

Now, I'm just hoping my Jeep stays unscathed until I get it out of there to go to work tomorrow morning . . .

1 comment:

Gavin said...

I did my grocery run the night before. Price Chopper was packed on Tuesday evening.