Thursday, November 15, 2007

It's All in Timing . . .



We had some people from Loss Prevention at headquarters come to our branch today to meet with several of us at a time to present and review various types of frauds and counterfeit instruments that come into the credit union. Sometimes the member presenting them has the intention to steal, and sometimes they have no idea that what they have is counterfeit or is part of a scheme to defraud. Our head teller and I were the first to meet with the group from headquarters. After we were done, I returned to my teller station. The first transaction I had was closely familiar to some of the scenarios that had been presented. It was an "official" check from an institution in the Southwest being presented to an account that had very little activity in a long time. A red flag went up in my brain and I went to the supervisor to show her. She advised to put a 5 business day hold on the check and to inform the member. While he was still in front of me, my supervisor sent me a message to call the financial institution. I did a search on the internet to get a valid telephone number and we called. It was a counterfeit check! I quickly became the hero! A short while later, our branch manager came out to stick a gold star and an "A+" on my shirtsleeve. You can't write this stuff!

4 comments:

Gavin said...

Excellent!

What did the customer say? Were they aware, or oblivious and grateful that you caught it?

ArichNY said...

I'm not sure how much the member knew about it. He didn't mind us putting a hold on the check when I mentioned it. He originally got my attention when he said he hadn't been to the credit union in a long while. He said he received the check as payment for something. I told him we were going to check it out and if it was ok, then to deposit it. He didn't seem to mind at all that we took it. He also left fairly quickly! It was for over $800!

louietoon said...

Did your DCJS background have anything to do with it?

ArichNY said...

Nope. Based on the circumstances surrounding the account and the transaction attempted...it smacked of something fishy. In the class they talked about these situations that would send up a red flag. We can check a few things in the account and then react appropriately.