Sunday, August 12, 2007

End of a Chapter


Part of this odyssey involves saying Farewell (for now anyway) to good friends. I've been dreading the next couple of weeks for this reason. It brings back memories of the summer before I went away from home for the first time . . . preparing to go off to college. I remember a series of dinners and get togethers with my extended family and friends. It was an end of the 'childhood' portion of my life, if you will, and the advancing into 'adulthood' . . . off on my own for the first time. Now I realize this is another one of those transitions. These past couple of years have been difficult for me and for my family. But I do see a lot of good that has come from the ashes. For me, it has been a period when I have been fortunate to have forged some of the closest and strongest friendships of my life. We have supported each other and been there for each other thru a lot of rough times. I don't know where I'd be otherwise today. The support and love of these friends has given me the courage and confidence to know that I can do this. I have seen great changes over the past couple of years, both in myself and in others.

So, I look forward with eager anticipation of a new and exciting chapter in my life, recognizing that I am leaving great things behind. The picture above is of Gavin and me at the Spectrum Theatre in Albany. We met two years ago and immediately became good friends. We have shared lunches, dinners, movies and concerts over these two years. We always have things to talk about and I don't think we ever have two seconds of silence. Gavin encouraged and inspired me to begin a blog. I admire the creativity and variety that he puts into his blog Why Oh Why? Gavin is also a caregiver to his Mom. I admire his patience that comes across in the posts on his other blog Alzheimer's Moments. I will miss Gavin terribly, but we have promised to keep the communication channels open! Blog on!

No comments: