Friday, August 31, 2007

The Big Day

Well, the day has arrived! My apartment here in Albany is empty. All my belongings are sitting in a truck somewhere in Pinellas County. The only things left are a sofa and a chair...which will most likely end up at the curb and eventually in some college student's apartment. Two bags to check in and two carry ons. I'm all set!

Yesterday was my last full day in Albany, and it was a full day. I met my friend Don for coffee in the morning and we sat and talked for a couple hours. Just before noon, Craig came over to pick up the things that were being donated to the Treasure Chest store, part of the Damian Center in Albany. We loaded his car and then dropped the stuff off and went to Panera for lunch. On the way out Craig noticed the German Chocolate pastries and we had to get them and sit at another table to scarf them down. Well, anyway, I scarfed mine down!

Back to my apartment, I spent some time cleaning the bathroom and the kitchen sink and the refrigerator. I want to leave my apartment in as clean a state as when I moved in. It's so easy to clean and vacuum when there's nothing there in the way! Hmmmmm? Minimalist? I like that!

My brother Ray picked me up around 4:30 pm and we loaded the things and food I had left in his car. I had a nice dinner with Ray and Iz and Linda and Louie and Mike and Katie. It was a strange feeling, having a family meal and knowing that I wasn't just going away for a short trip, but for a move away.

I slept well on the sofa for one last time. Although this sofa is dilapidated, it goes back a long way. I can still see Joey and Nana sitting on it and playing that fishing game with the little fishing pole and the magnet. I can see all of our Christmas stockings, filled to the brim, lined up across the cushions. Sitting on it, roasting in front of the fire. It has served us well!

Linda is picking me up around noon and we'll be going to lunch and then the airport. Iz will be joining us for the trip to the airport.

One step at a time. Tonight, trying to relax. Tomorrow, starting to unpack all those boxes! I'll keep you posted!

No comments: