Tuesday, October 25, 2011

New York City - A Tale of Two Plays

I happened to catch Trey Parker and Matt Stone on the the Daily Show last spring when John Stewart interviewed them about their show on Broadway, The Book of Mormon.  Because of my history, having been a Mormon for 22 years, joining with my family when I was 34, I was caught by surprise.  I can't say I have ever been a big South Park fan, but have enjoyed some of their episodes.  Crude, crass, gross, at times, but made some good points.  Listening to the interview, I knew I had to see this show!

My granddaughter Ruby was due to be born sometime near the end of July, so I was making plans to visit NYC in October. when Ruby and her parents were a bit more 'settled'.  So, I figured I would get a ticket to the Saturday matinee when I was in town.


I think the show tended to be a bit gross at times, as South Park often is.  But I think the creators captured the innocence and enthusiasm of the missionaries to perfection.  I found their portrayal spot on, from choice of words and cadence.  The songs flowed beautifully, were catchy and upbeat and fun!  The audience really got into this show.  It was the first Broadway show that I have been to, where from the first seconds of the curtain call, the audience was on their feet  cheering, whistling, and applauding with great enthusiasm.  It was amazing, and I would see it again!



After the show, I headed through Times Square to get the subway on 42nd to head back uptown.  The area was jammed with people, so much so that the sidewalk was like a parking lot!  Moving was extremely slow!  Turns out, the Occupy Wall Street crowd had headed up to Times Square.  Lots of barricades and police all over.









I finally made it to 42nd Street!













Look who I ran into on my way to Priscilla, my Sunday matinee!  I really think Joe (R.) was in there.  Pete reported him missing . . .
On Sunday I headed back to midtown to see Priscilla.  I wish I had seen this before I saw Book of Mormon, because I think BOM is a hard act to follow.  I did enjoy it though . . . just seemed to me a string of flashy disco numbers (which it was).  I loved the way the bus "performed", with it's movement and lights.  The musical numbers were amazing with performers coming down out of the ceiling, soaring over the stage.  I found the curtain call to be a bit confusing with the audience not sure if it was just another musical number.  It was well into the number when I realized the cast was bowing in turn.  Fortunately, they did a more traditional call afterwards. (Or maybe I was just hallucinating???)  I very much enjoyed the show, but think I would have liked it even better if I had seen it first on Saturday.

I hung journeyed across the street to the bleachers set up in Times Square to people watch.  
I went into the Starbucks in that building in the center there.  A Japanese tourist took my cup of coffee from the counter before I got there.  And I had to wait behind him at the sugar/creamer stand while one of his traveling companions took pictures there with his camera with a huge lens.

It was nice to get back uptown to no crowds and serenity!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you ever get your coffee back?? Haha oh, tourists - can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts! ;)

Y B Normal? said...

Same thought: you should have punched out that tourist. What a PHOTO that would have made! ;o)

Jealous you got to see such great shows. Me, I also like to go to museums when I'm back in the Apple.