Sunday, October 02, 2011

Farewell Robert

To live in hearts we leave behind
Is not to die.
~Thomas Campbell, "Hallowed Ground"



I received some terrible news this morning.  Dr. Ray called me from Albany to let me know that Robert Jaquay had died on September 21.  He read to me from the obituary in the local media.  In seeing the news, he knew that it was the Robert that I had spoken to him about many times in our phone conversations.  Robert was the leader of our book club.  To quote from O&A on Facebook:

Robert was passionate about books, theatre, opera and all the arts.  He joyfully provided us with theatre and performance reviews and was the thought provoking leader of our Book Club.  Our condolences go out to all those he touched and especially to his partner of 42 years Bill Leone.


Robert and I met through social activities with the Outings & Adventures group here in the Tampa Bay area.  I was surprised to learn that Robert was the Director of the William K. Sanford Town Library in Loudonville, NY for 29 years before retiring and moving to Florida.  I lived the first third of my life in the same town (Colonie).  This 'connection' led to us becoming instant friends.

I will miss him at our monthly dinners and book discussions.  I will always think of him when I attend a performance at the American Stage Theater in St. Pete.  Although our journeys only intersected for a very short time, I consider myself fortunate and richer for having had him as a friend.

Farewell Robert . . . I will miss you . . .

1 comment:

JustAMike said...

Sorry for your loss Arich.