Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Shazam! I'm Such a Geek!

Since my trip up to the Boston area was cancelled this past weekend because of Irene, I was off today and am off tomorrow.  I decided to get myself up and out of my apartment.  I first dropped off some plastic bottles and papers and cardboard to the recycle center at Crescent Lake Park.  From there, I headed down to the downtown Starbucks to get an iced coffee and to relax and read my book club selection for next month.  It's a collection of short stories by Andrew Holleran, "In September, the Light Changes".

While I was stirring in some Splenda and half and half into my iced coffee, I picked up one of the free iTunes download cards that are always on display.  This one sounded interesting:  Shazam, by Encore.  So tonight, I saw the card sitting next to my iMac and figured I might as well listen to it and see if I like it enough to download.
Well, silly me!  It isn't a song, it's an App.  There's no fool like an old fool.  So, naturally, I downloaded it to my iPad.  I tested it out on some of the more obscure songs in my iTunes library and "SHAZAM!"  it matched the songs!  And, in Googling images, I found a plethora of Shazam pics!
I'm wondering if this one inspired the name of the app?  Trying to do a bit of research about the character and it's a bit confusing.  Seems it's a boy who turns into Captain Marvel by yelling, "Shazam!"  Looks like over the years a movie project has come and gone several times.
So, in addition to Googling I can now Shazam.  Dangerous!








2 comments:

Breenlantern said...

You know, I might know a thing or two about SHAZAM!(Captain Marvel) if you have any questions. What's confusing about him?

Shazam the app is fun. Great for capturing songs you hear in passing that you like and want to remember.

ArichNY said...

You and Jeffrey will need to plan a trip down here so you can tell me all about him. :-)