Saturday, August 13, 2011

Disney With Gina and Adele

Gina and Adele invited me to do a day at Disney with them before Gina heads back to college.  My schedule had me off on Friday, so I decided to leave after work on Thursday, and headed over to Orlando around 7 pm.  After checking into my hotel, I went to Downtown Disney to get something to eat.   I liked the menu at the Rainforest Cafe.  Macadamia crusted tilapia w/teriyaki glaze, mango puree, coconut shrimp w/mango salsa, Caribbean rice and grilled veggies.  What more can I say?
Funny story:  when I talked with the girls, I accidentally  gave them the wrong room number.  A short while later, I was wondering what was keeping them.  Then I thought I heard what sounded like their voices coming from a short distance from my room.  I opened my door and looked out, and there they were, knocking on the door of the room next to mine, and in controlled yells, trying to get someone to answer the door.  They had texted me and called, but with my lousy cell connection inside the room, I didn't get them.  They were picturing me laying dead on the floor, either slashed to death, or by heart attack.  Oh my!
 So, after a happy reunion, and relief that there was no horrible scene before them, we headed over to the Polynesian for lunch.  I'm refraining myself and not posting pictures of the food.  It was all good!  (I loved my pulled pork taco!)

 So after lunch, we took the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom.  Adele had to leave us to go to work, so she met her friend.  'Nuff said.

 View from the monorail as we passed the Grand Floridian and approaching the Magic Kingdom.
Look out Main Street!  Just after the parade passed.
 Here Adele met up with her friend.  Soon they would head over to the Contemporary for lunch.
Posing for our obligatory tourist castle shot.
 And another.

 And another.
We were making a loop, killing some time before Adele had to leave us.  Snapping pics here and there.  It was HOT!  Somewhere in the low to mid 90s.
 Balloons on Main Street.
 And more.
The case at the Confectioner's.  We returned to the scene of this crime at night before we left the park.

It was so hot walking around just after Adele left, that Gina and decided to catch the monorail to Epcot.

 Coming into the Magic Kingdom Station.
View from the monorail as we were arriving at Epcot.
 I haven't been to Epcot in a long time, so it was nice to hang out there for a while.  It started sunny, but in a short while, clouds rolled in and there was thunder and lightning.
Our obligatory tourist shot at Epcot.

 A familiar scene:  Gina holding my soda cup as I was taking another picture.
In Spaceship Earth, they have you pose for a picture, and then towards the end of the ride, after selecting your "future" by answering a series of questions on a screen in your car, you appear in the little movie they put you in.  Tres cute.  I was so busy snapping these goofy pics that I didn't pay any attention to what the narrator was saying.

 Some majestic clouds starting to roll in.

Here I was attempting to catch some lightning flashes at the temple at the Mexico site.
The plaza inside the Mexico pavilion.

Gina dresses up the Donald piñata.

Just after snapping this photo, I put on the sombrero and was getting ready to pose, when I heard coming from behind me, "Excuse us . . . " and there was Donald coming to greet his fans!

Gina was holding the small Donald doll, so handed to Donald and he placed it on his beak.  Awk!
On the boat ride.  They have updated it since I last rode on it many years ago.  Added the Three Caballeros theme.
And there they are!
 Rain over Canada . . .
Passing China.

 Did a stop at Norway to do the Troll Ride.  Gina ducking in out of the rain drops.

 Gina found this baby seal.

On to Germany! Fortunately the rain stopped.
We stopped in the cafe to share a piece of cheese cake.  The cheese was between thin layers of vanilla cake.  It was good!!!




This was interesting.  Kids from this camp were stretched out in a line and one of the adults had a funnel cake and was breaking off pieces and handing them out to each kid.  We thought it looked like a communion line . . .


Then on to Italy.
 *Sigh*  If only it was the real Italy!

Snap!

Strolling the piazza . . .

The view from the piazza, across the lagoon.

Some details.


 Awesome sky over Morocco . . .
This group was awesome too . . . Mo'Rockin'
 France.  Kind of like, "if it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium."  I am dating myself.

 On to Wee Britain.  The building on the right looks like one of the buildings on the Wellesley campus.
Gina was trying to contact Doctor Who.

Oh Canada!

On the way out . . . going to head back to the Magic Kingdom to meet up with Adele later when she gets done with working.
 We stopped back at the pavilion to sample the sodas from different countries.
 Italy was the worst . . . bitter . . .
 Lighted for the night.
And . . . back to the Magic Kingdom.

Tomorrowland was like a carnival, sort of like Pleasure Island from Pinocchio.  We didn't run into Lampy.

The castle gets lit for this new show that projects objects, photos, and colors onto the walls and makes the castle come alive with movement.  An amazing show.
We didn't ride the teacups tonight, but I had to take a few shots.


We met up with Adele on Main Street, back at the Confectionary.  Brought her a Donald gift . . .
 Outside the parade was passing by.
Sweet treats before heading out.  We stopped at the 7 Eleven across the street from our hotel for some water and soda for the room.  We commented about how we used to always stop at the 7 Eleven when we visited Florida on vacations in the past because we didn't have them in our area.  Now we in the middle of them all over the place.  It was a very fun day!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So much fun!!! I LOVE the pictures! Miss you xoxox

Buddy Bear said...

Loved the pics! Thank you!

Ginny said...

As alwayws, you do such a great job~~~I love the Mexican pavilion the best at Epcot. It is so nice to see someone enjoying their family as much as you do. Miss you.

Ginny said...

Love your pictures as usual. The Mexican pavilion is my favorite at Epcot. It is so nice to see someone enjoy their family as much as you do. Miss you.