Monday, January 22, 2007

Sit with me and hold my hand


Sometimes that is so difficult to do. What with all the different demands and nonsense pulling us in all directions. And sometimes just being with someone is the best gift we can give, both to another and to ourself. Unable to do that simple and loving act this past two days has made very clear and real the problem of this great distance.

I received a phone call on Sunday morning from my daughter Mia. She just wanted to let me know that she was in the hospital. On Saturday night while laying on the bed with her sister Gina watching a movie, she suddenly had a tremendous pain in her chest and her back, and her left arm was going numb. She said she thought she was going to die. In the hospital they were running all sorts of tests: EKGs, blood work, imaging. Her blood pressure was very low and her blood was very dark. This morning she underwent the first part of her stress test and at 1:00pm the doctor will be in to do some more, from what I understand.

Her Mom told me this morning that she didn't want them to leave her last night. She wanted to go home and sleep in her own bed. If I was there I could have stayed with her and held her hand. I'm so worried and I'm praying that it's just some sort of fluke and nothing serious or life threatening. Needless to say, I have been very distracted these past 24 hours.

I love my children very much. And I miss them a lot because of this distance. I miss being more a part of their lives and that includes the school open house nights and the trips to the mall and walking Luke. I miss the pizza / movie nights and just hanging out and being together. Having them visit for the holidays was great, but it went by in the blink of an eye.

3 comments:

Gavin said...

I hope this turns out to be nothing serious and the doctors give her a clean bill of health. Keep us "post"ed!

Pete said...

I'll send some positive energy your way that this will be nothing serious. If you have time off and can afford it you should try to surprise her, maybe it would cheer her up and help you out too.

ArichNY said...

Thank you Y-O-Y and Pete for your well wishes! I appreciate it! I spoke with Mia midday today and she's doing well, a bit shaken up by it all, but she is strong!