Monday, January 01, 2007

Good-bye 2006!

It's that blank canvas time of year again. A year ahead...what will it bring? What good changes? What areas of growth? What areas of sadness or maybe loss? A cold, bleak January, hopefully a thaw (did we freeze yet?). February...those conversational hearts. March, maybe a huge blizzard? April . . . warming . . . mud . . . blossoms . . . re-birth. And May all in bloom. I especially like seeing those tulips. They are the perfect flower for kids to draw! They also remind me of my grandfather (Nana's husband.) I remember the tulips along the side of their house.

This is also a time of looking back. How fast the year went. Weren't we just taking the Christmas decorations down from last year?

2006 has certainly been a year of changes. Another new job . . . going from full time insanity to part time relative calm and pleasure . . . super co-workers and environment. Developing new friendships that have been both a tremendous support and have also led to the blossoming of a social life! I attended a retreat around the 4th of July holiday that has allowed me to move on with my life with a new understanding and appreciation for each new day.

Many nice visits from my children have made this a good year for growth in our relationships. Gina having her braces removed in the summer. Mia working full time (and then some) at Walt Disney World. Adele leaving and serving on a mission. Joe and Joy setting up housekeeping in Queens. I have seen amazing growth in all of our children. I am very proud of all of them!
I was also priviledged to visit Joe and Joy in New York City in early spring and saw Joy perform in her acting gig in The Big Stew! I LOVED IT! And I got to visit Mia and Gina and Luke in Orlando in the autumn . . . and got to meet Minnie Mouse up close and personal!

We cleaned out and sold Dad's house in August. Our childhood home is no longer in the family. But we got to celebrate the dawning of 2006 with our last holiday party in the house while Adele was still living there. It was a good send off!

There were also some other changes that are not happy ones. Our divorce became final. Our relationship is changed, but hopefully 2007 will bring us further along in the healing process.

2006 . . . another chapter in our life story. And the beat goes on . . .

No comments: