Sunday, January 07, 2007

Christmas Trimmings

On Monday I took down my tree and all the Christmas decorations. We have a tradition of leaving stuff up until Little Christmas on January 6th. But I do get to a point when I just want it all put away and for things to get back to "normal", whatever that is.

As I pack things away, it always reminds me of Christmases past, and of unpacking them with all the anticipation of the approaching holiday and then repacking them, wishing that the actual holiday itself didn't go so fast.

I remember one early January exactly 29 years ago, as I was clearing the mantle of the Christmas decorations and packing them away, thinking that the next Christmas when we unpacked them and put them up, that we would have a little baby in our home. The excitement of that thought blunted any sadness of packing that stuff away!

Christmas 2006 was a good one. In the fall, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to put up any decorations. But when Mia and Gina planned a trip up for the week before Christmas, that was the motivation that I needed. I decorated and then some. I decided it was also time to build new memories, so replaced some of the older decorations with new ones, symbolic of new life and changes. I also displayed sentimental reminders of good times past, like Santas and reindeers and snowmen that were gifts from the children. I also put out a couple of 'old' plastic decorations that my mother and father had from over 50 years ago. They are among my earliest memories of Christmas and I still love seeing them.

Although I get a little sad to move ahead to a usually bleak January, Gina's birthday adds much needed fun and excitement to the month! Plus, a new year is a new slate with no writing on it yet. There are many new adventures ahead!

And now I have another souvenir, a green fedora from New Year's Eve. As a friend suggested, I've also got a hat to wear on St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: