Sunday, July 10, 2011

Phenomenal Birthday Weekend

This definitely has been one of the most amazing Birthday and birthday weekends of my life.  Although not planned to be, my first grandchild, Ruby Joy Gabriel, was born on the day before my 63rd birthday.  She arrived just over 20 days early, and both she and Mom, and Dad too, are doing extremely well!  I'm not posting any pictures of her until my son Joe posts them.  He did send a couple taken shortly after she was born, and I must say, without prejudice, she is the most beautiful baby!  Well, not much prejudice, anyway.
 The weekend began with Wayne bringing down a home baked carrot cake.  We hung out with friends Pete, Joe, Steve, Bryan and Dave and ate the cake, watched some slide shows (how boring?!  OK) and waiting for the text/message saying Ruby had arrived.  Joy had started late on Thursday night, but not strong contractions until later on Friday.  After midnight came and went, everyone decided it was time to go.  I received a text around 2:00 am that Ruby was born at 1:35 am on 7/9/11.  [Notice the odd number sequence?]  My birthday weekend was off to a fantastic beginning!
 On Saturday I broke in my recently purchased blender by making fruit smoothies.  Fresh strawberries, blueberries, vanilla yogurt, orange juice (from Florida, of course!), and I added in a little coconut syrup.  Soooooo good!
Saturday afternoon, we had to head over to the mall so that I could check all the baby departments.  I needed to find an "I love Grandpa" onesie or two for Ruby.  None to be found, at least, none worth purchasing.  When we got back, I checked online and found a plethora of choices.  Now, to pick one or two or three . . .
 On Saturday night Wayne took me to dinner at Carrabba's.  It was a first for me, believe it or not.



Prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloins with apple and fig infused port wine sauce; and angel hair w/garlic and olive oil.



 I knew our waiter Brad from waiting on him when he comes into the credit union.  I told him we were celebrating my birthday and me becoming a Grandpa.  After dinner, he brought out a vanilla ice cream with praline dessert with a candle.  Fortunately, Brad was nice enough not to have any  singing by waitstaff!
The Carrabba's is located in this older refurbished building which also houses the Sunken Gardens.  When I first moved here and saw the Sunken Gardens sign, I thought it was a Chinese restaurant for some reason.  What a doofus!




On Sunday morning I was interviewed on Homo Radio  which is on every Sunday on radio station WRPI 91.5 FM.  The interview was almost an hour long.  The theme of the show today was 'transitions'.  All went well!
Early afternoon, Pete and Joe picked us up and we headed over to Sunset Beach.  It was mostly hazy overcast, but we all ended up with some red.  We ran into Bryan and Dave there and hung out with them.  And then we ran into Robert G, well, actually swam into Robert.  Pete and Joe brought champagne and sandwiches.  The water was beautiful!


Afterwards we celebrated some more with Pete and Joe.  Here with creamcicle vodka drinks.
And what's a birthday party without birthday hats?














Photo courtesy of Pete!  Bruschetta courtesy of Joe!


 Another cake . . .

 Yes, it was yummy!


Looks like 'Mickey' ears!
Didn't take us long . . .



 A new St Pete shirt!
 Gift certificate for a tour and dinner at the Vinoy!

Speeding Granddads with "super speed action"
The glass says, "R.I.C.H." for "Relax.  It's Cocktail Hour"  I always knew my name had deep meaning.

Now to plan a trip to NYC to meet Ruby in person. I don't think I can wait until October!

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

many happy returns !
I hope your next year is the best year yet !

Chasing 10 said...

Belated Birthday Wishes, looks like it was a smashing good weekend! You look marvelous as well, not a day over 40!