Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Time Travel Journey


I was sitting at the laundramat this morning, my iPod plugged into my ears, and writing in my "A Father's Legacy"journal. The topic was 'What places in the world would you still like to visit? Why?' My first thought was of my brand new (and very first!) passport, hidden in my apartment, waiting to be used. Italy! Of course!
Then my thoughts went to my son Joe. He was probably in a jet somewhere over the Atlantic on his way back home to NYC from the latest leg of his current freelance project. I was thinking back to all the places we went as a family when he was little and then as he grew and we welcomed more children on our travels. What fun some of those trips were! Joey poking Mickey Mouse in his big white button, Adele, "found" on that sofa in the lobby at the hotel in Galveston, Mia...head buried in my chest...gum stuck to my t-shirt after coming out of the Haunted Mansion, Gina being wisked away by Mr. Smee. And the odessy that Lu and I experienced on our trip to Hawaii years before we had children. Then, fast forward to taking the train to NYC with Dad, to visit Joe around Father's Day.



All of the trips, with all of the highlights and the not so good moments too, are etched in my brain. I recall them with a bit of nostalgia, but also with the knowledge that more trips are being planned. Florida...NYC...and Italy!

1 comment:

Breenlantern said...

beautifully painted memories...it is so important to quilt togther the patches of our lives from past to present and even to future to make a complete picture of who we were, who we are, and who we want to be...thank you for sharing anothr piece of you.