Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Music Triggers

My son turned me on to alternative and indie (am I hip enough to be spelling that correctly?) music. After I moved out of our home and into my own fairly empty apartment, I used to take a lot of walks. The weather was beautiful...it was late spring. It gave me time to think and to try to make sense of all that was going on. Sometimes I would bring my mp3 player. As gifts, my son had given me several mixes of some of his current favorites of independent and alternative musical groups. I was really surprised at how much good music there is out there! I'm a real airhead when it comes to music, but some of the melodies, and some of the beats, and some of the lyrics just blew me away. Some are so profound to me....maybe because they address my mood and situation at the time.

I've just returned from the post office and Dunkin Donuts. On the short drive home "Do You Realize?" by The Flaming Lips (yeah, that's what I first thought) was playing. It stikes a chord with me. Especially since I was going thru the breakup of my family and the death of my Dad. The words are both meloncholy and hopeful to me.

Do you realize - that you have the most beautiful face

Do you realize - we're floating in space

Do you realize - that happiness makes you cry

Do you realize - that everyone you know someday will die

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them know
You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

I guess the sun IS always shining!

No comments: