Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Blank Canvas

When I started posting to this blog, I wasn't really sure what I would write, or what direction this would go, or how often I would add a post. Today is one of those days. So far, I've received no inspiration, no bolt out of the blue, nothing. A blank canvas.
I'm reminded of the many assignments I had in college (I studied art... BFA from Syracuse University) and assignments in other visual arts and creative writing classes. What am I going to do??? Hours or days could be spent trying to develope an idea and nurse it along. Many times it was scrapped, and other times it led to one of the most enjoyable and exciting creations. I remember staying up all night several nights to build this "Pirates' Treasure Hunt" game....board, playing pieces, spinner, cards, map and treasure chest box. I remember some of my dorm mates joking about it... like all the little kids that would get hernias trying to bring out this game... Stupid poly sci majors!

So...This post is about nothing but an empty canvas, and the images and memories it brings to mind. I'll leave with one of my favorites: I did this drawing with color pencils, on illustration board, about 15" X 20". I was pondering what to put on that vast white space and went down to the vending maching and came back with a Milky Way bar. Hmmmmmm? I ripped open the wrapping a bit... split the candy bar so that some of the caramel would be stretched out...and proceeded to draw it, and color it in with a bazzillion colors! I still have it and it hangs, framed in my kitchen. The best part about it was that I got to eat it when I was done!

No comments: