Thursday, May 03, 2012

Farewell Old BayWalk

BayWalk is / was a project in downtown St. Pete that opened in 2000.  It's design added a nice flavor to downtown.  Like many places, it fell on hard times and was recently sold.
I took this picture when I visited St. Pete in July 2007 when I was checking out this area to see if I really wanted to move here.
It had many shops and eating places and a 20 theater Muvico with an IMAX screen too.
[Note:  The Ovation condo has not yet been built and is missing from the left center background.  See fourth photo down. ]


I took this pictures with my cell phone as I was walking by this afternoon.

These next two photos were taken the following day. (May 4)




Yes.  This is what the new owners are turning it into.  A page out of the Jetsons.  It sure doesn't take any local flavor into account.  Would probably look good in Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom.

Don't cry for me, St. Petersburg.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's so sad! Isn't it amazing how things change...