Sunday, October 19, 2008

An October Evening

The Florida Orchestra presented a "Pops in the Park" free concert on Saturday night in Vinoy Park. Earlier in the afternoon Wayne and I went to Mazzaro's to get a few things to bring along with us for a picnic. Naturally, we had to have lunch while we were there. Around 5:00 pm we walked from my apartment with beach chairs on our backs. (Nicely designed with straps to carry like backpacks, including a large pouch in the back.)

I was reminded of the Park Playhouse evenings up in Albany during the summers when we used to go to the free plays. And way back, we used to volunteer as ushers and sell 50-50 raffle tickets. The kids used to compete in the "Light up the Park" competition; one year, neon, another red, white and blue: remember, Mia? But I digress...

Yummy selection of olives . . .








There was a very good turnout. The clouds threatened a little, and it even drizzled for a few minutes about an hour before the concert was to begin. But, then it cleared out and was a beautiful evening, although probably a bit cool for many Floridians.


I practiced using the zoom on the new camera. These were taken from the spot where we were seated.

















There was a booth that children, and a few adults too, could play various instruments. I made a bee-line for that tambourine, and thought I'd impress Wayne with my "Reflections". Needless to say, he was not impressed!
















I caught Wayne relaxing to the following piece.




The Orchestra ended with, what else?, the 1812 Overture and fireworks. It was a nice evening to spend outside in October!

No comments: