Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad!

Boy, these years keep going faster!  I got out of work at noon on Tuesday and decorated my tree, which I put up on Monday night.  And I love traditions.  A more recent one of mine is to play "It's a Wonderful Life" DVD while I am decorating it.  This tree is a far cry from the ones I grew up with and had when my own family was growing up.  I learned how to put on the lights from my father.  He had a method.  I put tons of lights on the tree, all sizes and shapes and colors. It would take me hours!

The tree would sit in the middle of the "new" room.  (We never came up with any other name for this addition.)  We had an electrical outlet placed in the center of the floor for this reason.

And you can see from this picture of my son Joe, he was paying attention!


















And Ruby is watching and learning . . . her first Christmas!






So, on this day, Dad's birthday, I want to say thank you Dad, and Happy Birthday!  Thank you for our traditions and for your love!  I miss you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful post - it got me all teary. Thanks, Dad, (and thanks, Grandpa) for making such special memories!!

JustAMike said...

This is a very heartwarming post.

"It's a Wonderful Life" is one of my Christmas standards too. I can never watch the final scene without bursting into tears.

Your Dad looks like he was a great guy. Sorry he's not with you in person anymore.