Monday, March 19, 2007

The Feast Day of St. Joseph!

What a surprise I had when I got home tonight! Today was my first day at my new position at the credit union. The day went super fast. I met a lot of nice new co-workers and was welcomed with my cubie decorated with balloons and streamers and stars and a schefflera plant! (Pic to be added.) I think I'm going to like it there!


The day started out sunny and bright. But by the time work let out, it was snowing and gray. I came home and was eating my dinner (leftover pizza) when the door bell rang. It was my good friend Joe. He was celebrating St. Joseph's Day and in his family tradition, was delivering gifts to close friends. He brought me a rose and a box of Italian pastries from Villa Italia! My favorite! Included in the box was a vanilla pudding a zeppola and a canolli cream a zeppola and two chocolate mice...filled with chocolate mousse! Needless to say, I'm in heaven!

He brought a card and a story that a friend had sent to him. I like it a lot and am including it here.

Sand and Stone

Two friends were walking through the desert.
During some point of the journey, they had an argument,
and one friend slapped the other one in the face.

The one who got slapped was hurt, but without saying anything
wrote in the sand:
"Today my best friend slapped me in the face."

They kept on walking until they found an oasis where they
decided to take a bath. The one who had been slapped
got stuck in the mire and started drowning.
But the friend saved him.

After he recovered from the near drowning,
He wrote on a stone:
"Today my best friend saved my life."

The friend who had slapped and saved his best friend
asked him, "After I hurt you, you wrote in the sand
and now, you write on a stone. Why?"

The friend replied,
"When someone hurts us we should
write it down in sand, where winds of forgiveness
can erase it away.
But, when someone does something good for us,
we must engrave it in stone where no wind
can ever erase it."

Learn to write your hurts in the sand
and to carve your benefits in stone.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person,
an hour to appreciate them,
a day to love them,
but then an entire life to forget them.

Take the time to live!
Do not value the things you have in your life,
but value who you have in your life!

You are valued!!!

So, to my friend Joe, and to my son Joe and to all the Joe's out there:
Happy St. Joseph's Day!

3 comments:

Gavin said...

Umm, how come you didn't give Joe MY address? I could use some treats! Glad your first day went so well.

Gavin said...

Umm, how come you didn't give Joe MY address? I could use some treats! Glad your first day went so well.

Pete said...

That's so nice. I love that place.