Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Bridge Over Troubled Generations


Talk about an awakening. I was out the other night with some friends at a local karaoke night. While sitting there, another singer got up...and the screen lit up with the title of the song choice and the music began... the singer sang, "When your weary...feeling small..."


I heard someone say "Clay Aiken", and then I said to one of my friends who is 27, "who do you think did this song?" to which he replied, "Clay Aiken." I asked him if he ever heard of Simon and Garfunkel. He said, "Who?" I replied, "Sounds of Silence?" Blank look. "Scarborough Fair?" "The Boxer?"
Oh, and at one point the DJ (is that what the preson hosting is called?) asked, "Does anyony know who Perry Como is?" I just put my head down and cried. Am I THAT old?


"Time it was and what a time it was it was. A time of innocence, a time of confidences. Long ago it must be, I have a photograph. Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you."


4 comments:

Gavin said...

Precisely why I don't understand (or maybe I do understand) why people are attracted to people half their age.

Anonymous said...

Your not old...I think. Simon and Garfunkle were my favorite in High school and that was in the late 80's. I hated 80's music and I haven't found anything I like since. I'm a classic pop/rock girl. My son who I recently discovered listens to john fogerty and Simon and Garfunkle too. His MP3 is filled with songs from well before he was born..not much seems to intrest him musically since the 90's. I would guess it's because Radio (and Payola)has decided to force feed us what was payed for to be a hit and repeatedly too, comparitive to many years ago whaen they played what WE decided what was good and what wasn't.(if that ever really happened)

Pete said...

Clay Aiken did this song. OMG he should be shot. I have a number of Simon and Garfunkle CD's. I love them. I don't get young people these days.

Red Seven said...

Clay Aiken??!! Oh, the horror. Those kids aren't just young; they're also stupid. I wasn't alive in their heyday, but I know who the Supremes and Elvis Presley are/were. C'mon ...