Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Third Week G-Pa in NYC

My third and last week in NYC (LIC) was spent as my first two, enjoying being a grandpa.  Ruby was calling be G-Pa and not trying to get away when I hugged her or tried to kiss her.  She is a sweetie and kept me occupied with reading Grandpa and Me over and over again (as well as several other of her faves).  I loved how she would make different gestures or laugh or smile on certain pages.  And I think everytime she first saw me each day, she would give me the sign to start singing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" and in true grandpa fashion, I obliged, lovingly!
I had one day "off" when I went into Manhattan to do some shopping.  I caught this stone sculpture exhibit in front of 30 Rock.  I went to UniQlo to check it out.  A maze zing!  Naturally, as I usually do, I just got depressed looking at the clothes made for six footers that weighed in at 56 pounds.  But I did manage to bring some things home for Ruby and Red!
Joe and I took Ruby to another playground that had swings.  The area where the swings are at Shady Park is still blocked off due to the damage from Sandy last October.  Ruby loved swinging and I got to hang out with my Nanny sisters.
One day Joe and I and Ruby headed over to the field near Rainbow playground and Ruby had a ball walking up and down the hill over and over and over.  She got lots of exercise!
For my last three nights there, I moved to an apartment (via Airbnb) 2 1/2 blocks away, and had my own private bedroom.  It was nice to be so close!

Late on my last Saturday afternoon there, Mia arrived for her summer internship.  She was worried that Ruby would shy away from her . . . not so!  They started playing around right from the start!  Ruby loves her Auntie Meezies!
 
It was nice to have Mia there to share in the reading and singing!  Mia and Ruby were soon making plans for lunch at Elaine's.  Ruby was hoping to meet Joan Collins.  

On Monday I helped Mia move into her residence.  It was the first time I was able to help her move into housing since she started her post high school education.  Despite the rain drizzle and gray sky, we had fun!  I'm looking forward to my next visit this summer!  Now I have more family in NYC!

No comments: