Saturday, March 05, 2011

First Weekend in March 2011

Friday started off well.  I had the day off, so headed over to the St Pete Library to get a library card.  I've been wanting to do that since I moved here, but being the procrastinator that I am, I finally got a round tuit.
I also decided to replace my plastic cup in the bathroom with dixie cups.  And I wanted something different to put them in.  After leaving the library, I headed over to the China Finders on Central Ave.  That's another place I had wanted to check out and finally did.  I was amazed at the variety and amount of stock they had!  I recognized some of the patterns there from my past:  one was like a couple pieces that my mother had, this beige with orange type flowers on it; lots of pieces from a set that my ex-wife's grandmother had (it was a gold trimmed chocolate set), and I even saw a cheese mouse like the one we had, only this one was holding a sprig of holly.  I saw this creamer and because 'fish' is the theme in my humble bathroom, I figured, what the heck!
 I decided to head over to Sunset Beach to take a walk along the waves on the beach.  I stayed for about an hour before heading back.



I was in the mood for falafel, so I stopped at Cafe Bohemia on my way back and had a falafel wrap with iced green tea.  This photo is not of my actual wrap, but looks very close!
Pete's office celebrates 'First Friday' by starting the night off with a happy hour after work.  This month's location was a The Ale and The Witch, a craft beer bar located in the Plaza courtyard.  I met Joe on the corner and we walked down to meet up with Pete, who had walked to work in the morning.
Since I was still full from my lunch, I wanted something sort of light and 'refreshing'.  The barmaid suggesting this mix called Witche's Smoot which consisted of Kelly's hard cider and a tangerine beer.  And it was refreshing!
After hanging out with Pete's coworkers in the courtyard for a while, we decided to take the trolley over to Georgie's.  Since it was the monthly First Friday celebration, there were tons of people out and about in downtown.  The trolley was fun and only cost 25 cents!
Enjoying our refreshments!  There is a vendor who sets up in the courtyard and sells vegetarian hot dogs, Italian sausage and Philly cheese 'steaks', all to rave reviews.  Since I was still full, I observed everyone else and took copious mental notes.
We hung out at Georgie's for a while and ran into neighbors John and Mark, and my landlord Ralph.  We also chatted with Wayne, Howard and Greg before they left to get some pizza.  John and Mark live a few housed up from my apartment and they offered to give us a ride back home.  Of course, that was after making a stop at Paciugo!


This morning started out a bit overcast, but I decided to take a walk downtown to the market.  There was a gathering in North Straub Park for the Human Rights March, so I hung out there for a short while, enjoying the entertainment.
I then headed down to the Saturday Market and then over to Starbucks.
On my way to the market.
I stopped at Starbucks for a breakfast sandwich and iced coffee.  This is looking from my table.  Across the intersection is Jannus Landing.  There was a big crowd there last night.
This is one of the trolleys that loops around.  This is like the one we took last night.
Getting ready for the Honda Grand Prix which will run the last weekend in March.
I headed back up Beach Drive and stopped to check out the new Agora shop.
And finally, back into Old Northeast neighborhood and home!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the photos - I felt like I was walking around St. Pete's with you! And I think I need to see a concert at Jannus Landing someday. ;)