Sunday, June 23, 2013

Supermoon

Met up with some friends tonight to welcome back Evan and Lonnie, returning for the week.  We had a thunderstorm pass through the area earlier around 8:00 PM.  A bolt of lightning hit very close to my place but the power didn't flicker at all.  So once it died down I headed over to Georgie's to meet up with the group.

Shortly after midnight a transformer nearby blew out and Georgie's was left in darkness except for the emergency lighting.  We hung around inside for a while, but could feel the air heating up so we headed outside to wait for the power to return.  The full supermoon was shining brightly overhead.

When I returned to my apartment I checked out some information online about the moon and saw some instructions about setting the camera to get decent pictures.  So, out to the balcony in the back of my apartment building I went.  I snapped the above image of the moon.  I was surprised at the detail I managed to capture!  Woot!


4 comments:

Gavin said...

This is a great shot. The pics I took have no detail, the moon is just a glowing blob. For such an expensive camera, it doesn't take night time shots very well...even when I broke out the manual to make sure I was doing it right.

ArichNY said...

I clicked on a link I found when reading an article about the supermoon. I manually set my camera to ASA 800, F8 and speed of 1/1000. I zoomed in on the moon and steadied the camera on the hand rail.

Ur-spo said...

It was lovely; being a 'moon sign' I rather enjoyed it.

Harpers Keeper said...

Terrific photo. Thanks for sharing