Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Welcome Red Hudson!

I'm a Grandpa again! We all thought this baby would be born early like his big sister Ruby, but he had his own plans! My bags have been packed for three weeks (today) in anticipation of coming up to NYC to help keep Ruby entertained (or more for Ruby to keep G-Pa entertained!) I talked with Joe and Joy on Monday and it seemed like the best laid plan would be for me to fly up on Wednesday. Ticket purchased, perishable food, about all gone. All well. Planned on doing laundry on Tuesday, bed early, and then to the airport for my morning flight.  So, off to bed on Monday night at about midnight. That was a bit early for me, but I was tired from having taken two walks (one around midday and the other in the evening) for a total of about 8.25 miles.

Then after being asleep for a little over an hour, I was awaken by a phone call from Joe. Looks like the kid wanted out! So, a couple phone calls later, I was booked to take to the skies at 8:30 AM. I was wide awake so gathered my laundry and did that one wash load in the middle of the night. I figured I didn't want to return two weeks later to a hamper of stinky clothes.

6:00 AM, pickup and off to TIA. Shortly before boarding the plane, I received a text message from Joe: "He's here! Red Hudson G . . . 8lbs 8 oz born at 5:33 au natural. Everyone is doing great!"

Arrived at the apartment around 1:30 PM and then took the MTA to the East Side. What a special moment to hold Red, not yet 12 hours out in the world! As I talked to him his eyes looked towards my voice. How beautiful! Very calm and alert! And Ruby, looking like the world's most nonchalant big sister, was sitting watching the adventures of her friend Dora on the iPad!

What a special time in that room! One of life's cherished moments. Another sweet spirit has joined our family! Already he is letting us get a taste of his personality.

Dad, Ruby and I left a short time later. What fun taking the subway with a stroller during the afternoon rush! After getting back to LIC, we stopped at the playground in 'Shady Park' before heading back to the apartment. This park lost much of its shade last October when superstorm Sandy toppled many of the trees. Ruby had a ball, chatting and playing with her friends and climbing up and then sliding quickly down the slide with a huge smile!

Mia put the two pictures together of the proud Papa!

What a special day!










2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

IT was great to see you posting !
and what great news too!

Erik Rubright said...

Congratulations to you, and to the proud parents!