Sunday, October 10, 2010

October's Reflections

This is my fourth October living in Florida.  This past week there definitely was a change in the air.  The summer humidity was suddenly gone.  Our daytimes have reached the  low 80s and our nights have been in the low 70s, with an occasional dip into the high 60s.  Autumn decorations are appearing more and more on homes, and Panera has switched to the Golden Harvest Salad!  It's inevitable!


But my thoughts also go to past Octobers in the Albany area where I was born and grew up and spent most of my life.  I'm re-posting some pictures from my last October in Albany.  These pictures were taken more towards the end of October when Mia and Gina visited me.  Each year on the Columbus Day Weekend, our family would go apple picking.  These pictures were taken on our last visit to Indian Ladder Farms.  It was a very cold day as you can see by our clothes.  But that made the visit to the store and cafe that much better!  
Yesterday I attempted to buy some cider donuts at the local Publix bakery, but the girl looked at me like I had two heads and said, "That must be a North thing."  I sighed and said, "I guess."  
But . . . on the other side, it's nice to spend much of this weekend outdoors.  Friday night I joined some friends to play three games of shuffleboard.  And there were no people with blue hair there!  Friday nights is a big time there with lots of young people, birthday celebrations and music.  On Saturday morning I took a walk to the Saturday Morning Market in downtown St Pete.  It runs from the first weekend in October thru the last weekend in May.  And on Saturday night I went over to friends house for a cookout and to watch the ball games.  And this afternoon will be spent on the beach.  Although I miss the hot cocoa and the warm cider donuts, I'm not missing that colder weather!
Apples picked, ready for some hot chocolate and cider donuts!
My plate from the Saturday night backyard bar-b-que at Pete's and Joe's.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great Blog Happy Columbus Day!!!!
Don't miss out on some Columbus Day Cash with our 24hr FreeRoll Slots Tournament!!!
PLAY FREE HERE