Monday, October 09, 2006

May I suggest a weird movie?

I love movies. My whole family does. We're a little nuts...always doing quotes from movies. Sometimes people just respond with a blank stare when they have no idea what we're saying. I know. It's sick. But it's fun! There are so many great movies with some great lines; perfect in some situations.
I used to work at a movie theater....18 screens....I got to see a LOT of movies. I used to give weekly reviews for my co-workers at my full time job. I'm building up my DVD movie collection slowly. I love comedies, horror movies, sci fi, movies with a twist or weird approach, and horror movies (but not the sicko ones too close to reality, like where people are cut up with saws and such. Although I did like that scene in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? where the car is in front of the gate and runs into....oh, never mind).

Soooooooo, I thought maybe I'd give my random off the cuff Columbus Day movies I love and recommend list. In no particular order or even a semblance of organization:

Big Business - one of my all time favorite comedies. Wow! Two Bette Midlers and two Lily Tomlins! Who woulda thought?
Bubba Ho-Tep - Home for the aged...and who lives there? Why, both Elvis Presley and JFK! And why does that Egyptian mummy keep visiting? I can tell you he's not coming to feed his mom some pudding!

A Mighty Wind, Best in Show & Waiting for Guffman - if you've never seen any of these movies, what are you waiting for? Great ensemble cast...most of the same actors in all three movies. If you liked Spinal Tap, you'll love these.
Donny Darko - I was curious about this movie and just watched it recently. VERY strange, but I loved it!
The Brady Bunch Movies 1 & 2: I hated the TV show but loved these spoofs.
Edward Scissorhands - a Tim Burton world; and what movie with Johnny Depp isn't good?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I love the twisted in and out of the mind in this one. Reminded me of Being John Malkovich, another good one.
Adaptation - Two Nicholas Cages. Wait...was that one real or imagined? I still don't know.
Equilibrium - 1984 meets the Matrix. Not great, but I got the same feelings as when I first read 1984.

I [Heart] Huckabees
- for anyone who has ever been in therapy....hysterical!
Hero and House of Flying Daggers - great choreography, scenery, music, action.
House of Sand and Fog - talk about depressing...a Greek (or is it Iranian?) tragedy.
Kung Fu Hustle - funny and sweet story...a live comic book!

Kill Bill 1 & 2 - gotta love that Uma Thurmann!
Little Miss Sunshine - cute and funny story!

Radioland Murders - non stop action, laughs, period music and performances.
Serenity - funny sort of update of the original Star Wars movies
Sliding Doors - the plot takes two different pathways and intersects back and forth thru the movie.
Shawn of the Dead - comedy, horror, drama all blended into one.
Sin City - creepy, gory, sick, but sooooo well done.
The Sixth Sense - boy! I did not see that coming!
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - reminded me of the days when we used to lay on the floor in front of that big ole radio listening to the serials....oh no....that was way before my time!
Snatch - I could not understand a word of it.


So, there you have it. A random list of randomly good movies that I like. Don't forget the pop corn!

1 comment:

Gavin said...

Blanche, did ya know we got rats in the cellar?