Thursday, January 13, 2011

What I Am Missing . . .

Oh, the beauty of a New York winter!  The quiet that you hear (or not hear) after a new snow, when there is very little going on outside.  The snow sparkling at night under moon glow in dark blue sky!  I love the way the powder snow absorbs all the stray sounds.
 This photo was taken at the golf course near where we lived for over 30 years.  A fun place to go sledding or tubing or tobogganing; fast and furious!  I remember the wind!!!
And I remember this!  Up in the morning, bundle up, shovel out the car, back in to shower after sweating under all those layers, dressed and out the door for the fun drive into work.  Ah, sweet memories!
Back in the late 70s I worked in the building on the right in this picture.  (All of these pictures were taken during the recent snowstorm in the Northeast.  Thank you to Bryan for sending the links!)
Oh yes.  I remember taking the bus in this weather too.  Sometimes on the morning commute, the bus hadn't heated up inside yet.  Sigh.  How I miss that.
It's not easy, but someone has to do it.  I'll just have to be satisfied looking at photos and living vicariously via my friends and family up North.  Enjoy that magical, sparkling snow!  OK, so go ahead and make a snowman in my image and fire some snowballs at me.  I can take it.  As I was saying to Russ as we were chatting this morning, the only shovel I want is a small one for scooping beach sand.

No comments: