Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Visit from Mia

Mia came for the day on Saturday. We had a blast! First on the list: stopped at my credit union branch just before they closed at noon. I got to introduce Mia and Wayne to some of my co-workers. Next stop: Mazzaro's for lunch. Oink! Oink! Mia saw the macaroni pie and it reminded her of Aunt Iz's macaroni pie we always had at Thanksgiving. I had the Mazzaro burger and Wayne had the Italian panini.

There was this little old Italian lady sitting at the table next to us. She and her companions were sitting there enjoying the one man entertainment...singing Italian favorites. She started talking to us. She looked at Mia's macaroni pie and asked, "Did you order that?" Which means in Italian, "How could you order that??? I can make that much better!" I asked her to take our picture and she stood up and struggled with the camera, not knowing where to look. Fortunately, one of her companions, maybe her daughter, took over!

Naturally, we saved room for dessert. Strawberry rhubarb mini pie and a berry tart. Both were delicious.



Next, we went back to the apartment and changed into our bathing suits and headed over to Sunset Beach. The waves were higher than usual due to the effects of Hurricane Ike. From all of the waves, there were tons of sea shells on the beach, and as you walked into the water, there was this big drop off and you were in water up to your thighs (well, my thighs, anyway). Then as you climbed up out of the hole, you were in water just above your ankles for a good stretch before it started to get deeper again. This shot is of Mia and Wayne.

Here's a movie clip. I was hoping to catch some of the higher waves. Some really knocked you about. My camera is acting up, so some of the footage has a magenta tinge and some weird effects.


Just as we were leaving, there was this wedding ceremony taking place.

Later in the evening we went to Evos for some healthy fast food. We bypassed the shakes and went up 4th Street a block for some ice cream. I didn't take a pic of the stuff we got. We ate it too fast. Only kidding...


It was GREAT having Mia visit! I'm going to miss her even more again as she leaves soon for Colorado for several months.















1 comment:

Gavin said...

Looks like y'all had a great time.

I just got digital cable and had the Showtunes music channel on last night. (I know, don't start with me.) Anyway, Gimme Gimme came on and I immediately thought of you and Gina. She was so great when she sang that!