Monday, September 20, 2010

Hard Hat Tour of the new Dali Museum

On Sunday I went on a hard hat preview tour of the new Dali Museum in downtown St. Petersburg.  The museum itself is a work of surreal art!  So many people had registered for the tour with the Outings & Adventures group, (click here for description and pictures) that we were split over 3 tour groups.
I was on the first tour, at 11:00 am.  We started off with a fruit smoothie and panini from Tropical Smoothie. This shot is from the back, or west side.
My tour group. 


Here . . . let me zoom in . . . 
Too butch???
This is a shot that I think Robert may have taken earlier when he previewed the museum when setting up the tour.  No photography was allowed on the tour.  (I didn't think to ask if we could do sound recording.  I guess that wouldn't have had the same effect though.)  :-)


After the tour I went across the street on the east side, to take some pictures from the road leading to the Albert Whitted Airport.


In this shot, you can see the Mahaffey Theatre to the right of the Dali.  The area in between is being developed into a plaza.  Although not the same, the view from the Dali reminded me of the Lincoln Center plaza.  I think the glass facade and the columns on the Mahaffey and the new columns and roof on the east side of the parking garage in the middle seemed to bring the image of Lincoln Center to my mind.
This view extends further to the north, with the Mahaffey Theatre on the left and several of the condos in downtown St Pete on the right.
I enjoyed watching this sailboat on the left in the picture.  It was sailing around in the South Yacht Basin between Demens Landing (where I saw Hair last spring ) and the airport.


I like this shot with the Al Lang Stadium as a backdrop.  
A wider shot 
And the Vinoy, way in the distance in the center to the right of that tall palm.
Barbara and Robert with this guy who sorta has that Dali look.  And I mean Salvador, not Parton.

1 comment:

Kenny said...

Not too much...just the right amount of butchness. Butchiness?
Anyway...what an incredibly beautiful building!