Monday, July 22, 2013

Back in New York City - Greenwich Village Style

Being that I now have two grandchildren, I'm planning on making more frequent visits to the Big Apple to visit them.  July is a good month because both Ruby and I celebrate our birthdays a day apart.  For this visit I stayed with my daughter Mia who is doing an internship in public relations in the city for the summer.  She is subleasing (with several others) an apartment down in NoHo (North Houston, pronounced 'how ston' here).  Her place is directly on Houston, bordering NYU in Greenwich Village.  And on the 18th floor, what a view!

I arrived on Friday afternoon.  I first stopped off at the Js and Little Rs, who were away for several days, traveling to see family in Upstate NY.  I caught my breath and then later in the afternoon, took the subway down to Mia's place to meet her after she got out of work.
We did a little walking around her neighborhood checking out Washington Square, and then headed over for dinner at Trattoria Spaghetto.  Since it was so hot I started out with gazpacho and Mia had a summer salad before moving ahead to  pasta!















































The next morning I was up early, partly because the sun comes up so much earlier here than in Florida and with such a spectacular view from the apartment, we kept the drapes open!  All of the pictures with the World Trade Center tower were taken from the apartment.  I walked around the West Village, still showing remnants from the previous weekend's Pride celebrations.

The white building in the center below, was the "Cynthia Swann Griffin Crisis Center" in the movie "The First Wives Club".  It's two blocks from Mia's apartment.

Mia is getting to spend part of her summer living in an amazing, vibrant neighborhood!  And for me it was the first time I've ever roomed there, even though I visited it many times during my college years when my summer job brought me to the city for several days at a time.
We headed to midtown to do some shopping before heading over to the Js and Rs, who arrived back at their place in Long Island City on Saturday afternoon. The photo of the workers on the crane was taken there several days later.  With every visit this year I have seen that condo (orange color netting) get taller and taller!

No comments: