Wednesday, November 21, 2012

November Morphs - Fall Moves Closer to Winter


November is flying by.  It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is in 2 days.  As a wise sage once said, "Life is like a roll of toilet paper.  The closer you get to the end, the quicker it goes."  In addition to my ushering at The Palladium and The Mahaffey, friends and neighbors, John and Mark asked me if I'd like to volunteer at the annual Florida Craftsmens street craft fair.  I worked at the beer truck for three hours on Sunday.  We couldn't sell beer until 11:00 AM, but I was surprised that once we started selling, we seemed to be selling a lot more than the soda truck on the other side of the street!  We sold four types of craft beers from the Cigar City Brewing, in Ybor City in Tampa.

That "Joey Brooklyn's" window sells 'New York style' pizza, which came highly recommended.  So on Saturday, I decided to give it a try.  It was very good.  Two large slices (one with pepperoni and one with meatball) and soda, for just over $6, which included the tax.  Although the pizza was good, I was thinking back to the amazing pizza I had with Joe and Joy and Ruby at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn when I went up there in May.  


After I got off duty, I walked towards the Bay.  I liked the angles as I was passing the Signature condominiums, so I snapped a few pictures.  Although the architecture is interesting, it's not a building I would like to live in.  Floor to ceiling windows is far too open for me, although I imagine the view is spectacular.


On Monday morning I met up with Otto and we went to see the Titanic Artifacts Exhibition at the Mahaffey.  It is such an amazing and tragic story and to view the items salvaged from the bottom of the ocean is tremendously moving.  On entering the exhibit, we were issued boarding passes and we 'became' the passenger whose name is on the back side.  I was 'Richard' and was in the 1st Class accommodations.  Otto was a 3rd Class passenger.  On the wall next to the exit were the names of all the passengers, those that survived and those that perished.  We learned our fate.  Fortunately, we both survived.

I snapped some pictures of the preparations being made for the holiday celebrations coming up in December.  The third row of pictures above are of a couple of the seating areas for the Chillounge event that was held on Saturday night.  It's a big to do, with lots of food and entertainment in the park.  The bottom two pictures were taken in the Granada Terrace neighborhood, just north of where I live in the Old Northeast.  I am still enjoying walking in shorts and a tee shirt!

1 comment:

Harpers Keeper said...

The first time I encountered the process of assigning visitors a name like that was at the Holocaust Museum in DC. They give each guest a passport that you punch in various locations along the way until the end when I learn your final fate. I still have my from a visit 15-20 yrs ago. Sadly I did not fare as well as you did.