Thursday, August 05, 2010

Cyndi Lauper at Ruth Eckerd Hall

WOW!  Cyndi Lauper!  How can I not think of the 1980s???  I can picture Adele dancing as a tiny little girl, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fu-hun!" in the family room.  Having never seen her in concert, I went with Outings & Adventures (see review and photos here) to see her in concert at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater.
I rode up with Joe and Pete.  We stopped on the way to pick up Michael.  Joe pointed out how easy it was to park and to get out of the parking lot. Not like so many venues up in NY.  They had been there several times before, so they had the layout all scouted out!
One strange thing I noticed right off, was that there were no "interior" aisles.  One entered the theater thru "portals" (doorways labeled as such) on either side.  Once you found your row, you just entered and made your way over seats and previously seated patrons/fans.
After signing in at the O&A table, we were given a lanyard, which admitted us to a VIP lounge where we were treated to hors d'oeuvres and buffet while we mingled before the show.  We received a shout out from the stage during the opening welcome.  And for intermission, we returned to the lounge for desserts.  A couple of my favorites:  macaroons dipped in white chocolate on one side, and almond cookies.  I couldn't control myself.  Well, at least I didn't stuff any in my pockets like someone else I know!
Here's me, behaving myself! 
Belting out the blues . . . 
Somehow, Cyndi found out that I had just had a very important birthday, so she had to sing "Happy Birthday" to me!  I was farglempt!  It was like buttah!
Then, after the cake and a quick change, she serenaded me with "True Colors".  I was speechless!
She kept trying to get me to get up and dance with her, and I finally gave in . . . 
We danced to "Time After Time" with the hors d'oeuvres girl.  It was the crowning moment of the evening!


Seriously now, (Oh, no!)  Her concert consisted mainly of songs from her recent blues album, Memphis Blues, and boy, she can sing the blues!  For her first encore, she did her signature hits.  When she sang "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", the entire theater was on its feet, dancing and clapping and singing along! Including yours truly.

No comments: