Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Night at the Opera

I went to see the St. Petersburg Opera Company's production of Don Giovanni tonight at the Palladium Theater which is within walking distance of my apartment. But . . . I didn't want to arrive all sweaty, so I drove. Call me a Floridian now.

I remember Miss Wormley, the head of the Math Department and my advance placement math teacher, told us once that when we went off to college, we would find ourselves playing Bridge and listening to good opera. Well, it wasn't until after college that I learned barely to play Bridge and didn't attend my first opera until Tuesday night.



I was expecting a small crowd, being a Tuesday and all, but was surprised to see the theater just about full. It seats around 880, I think I read somewhere and I'll bet there were 700 people there.



I enjoyed it a lot for my first time. The libretto was projected above the stage and the costumes were modern day. The orchestra was seated towards the back of the stage behind a scrim. The set consisted of columns across the stage with a cornice above them, onto which the libretto was projected in English. It was funny the way modern English and slang was thrown in! They even threw in "i-Phone".

All in all, it was a nice cultural evening out. I plan on attending other performances and concerts held there.

2 comments:

Gavin said...

It is amazing how popular opera is...it kinda sneaks in under the radar. The theaters were packed for every one I've attended.

Unknown said...

Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love all genres of music. I had an opportunity to see my first opera a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It was The Barber of Seville. It was a special performance for middle and high schoolers to give them an opportunity to see what opera is about. What a great idea! The opera community has always come across as being elitist, unfortunately. The idea of having the libretto displayed above the stage is a great idea. I would have appreciated it. Your use of the Marxx Brothers picture is priceless. That is an awesomely funny movie. Well done.